We will continue to update this page as information becomes available.
Virginia Department of Health
Updates from the VDH can be found here.
The following companies have indicated that they are hiring due to increased demand during the Coronavirus pandemic:
- Kroger - stockers, cashiers
- Walmart - stockers, sales associates, cashiers
- CVS Health -store associates, prescription delivery drivers, distribution center employees, customer service professionals
- Domino's Pizza -delivery drivers, pizza makers, customer service representatives
- 7-11- sales associates
- Dollar General -sales associates
- Papa John's -delivery drivers, team members
- Pizza Hut -delivery drivers, team members
- Walgreens -customer service associates, pharmacy cashiers
- Food Lion -all departments
- Target -specialty sales, guest advocaates, GM and food
- Aldi -store associates
- Hardee's -cashiers, backline cooks, biscuit makers
- Wawa -customer service associates
- Family Dollar -customer service representatives
- Instacart -shoppers
- Dollar Tree -sales floor associates
- Harris Teeter -stock clerks, personal shoppers, cashiers, baggers
- Door Dash -delivery drivers
- QVC -work at home customer service specialists
- Lowe's -seasonal cashiers, sales associates, customer service associates
Hampton Business Map
The City of Hampton Economic Development Department is adding a map to its website showing Hampton businesses and their current operation status. Businesses will need to complete this survey to be included on the map. If there is a change in operations, a new survey must be completed for the map to update.
Rapid Response Grants
The Hampton Roads Workforce Council and Greater Peninsula Workforce Board have received Rapid Response funding throught the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act to assist employers eligible to remain open during this emergency. Funds are reserved for small businesses (250 employees or less) and may be used to clean the facilities and support emergency needs. Click here for more information.
U.S. Department of Labor Guidelines
U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division published information that gives a small amount of guidance with regard to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. This Act will take effect on April 1, 2020 and applies to employers with fewer than 500 employees.
- To view the full release, click here.
- To view the Fact Sheet for Employees, click here.
- To view the Fact Sheet for Employers, click here.
- To view the Q&A, click here.
- To view the initial release, click here.
Virginia Retail Federation Action Center
Contact your Senators and tell them to pass a bill that defends the economic health of the retail workforce! Click here to fill out the form.
Retail Alliance YouTube page
Retail Alliance is giving weekly briefings about the effects the Coronavirus is having on retail. They are providing updates on legislative actions, what they are doing to help, and answering questions. Click here for the YouTube page.
International Economic Development Council (IEDC)
RestoreYourEconomy is your resource for up-to-date information related to COVID-19 and its economic impacts. Click here for more information.
SBSD Survey for small business owners
Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) is conducting a survey to collect data on the impact COVID-19 is having on business revenue and employment. Businesses are encouraged to take the survey so SBSD can share the results with State and Federal Partners. Business owners have until 5PM Friday, March 27 to respond. Click here to begin the survey.
Virginia Employment Commission
Workers who have been totally or partially separated from their job due to COVID-19 may be eligible to file a claim for unemployment benefits. To find out if you are eligible and for information on how to apply, click here.
SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans
Small business owners in all US states and territories are currently eligible to apply for a low-interest loan due to COVID-19. For more information, click here. Step by step instructions on how to apply can be found in this webinar video.
Fill That Bus Community-Wide drive to help those in need
Working with the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank and the United Way, the City of Hampton is sponsoring a community-wide drive to collect non-perishable food items, diapers, infant formula, and cleaning supplies for Hampton residents in need. Donations will be accepted from3-6PM Monday-Friday, March 23-31 at three host sites.
- Northhampton Community Center - 1435-A Todds Lane
- West Hampton Community Center - 1638 Briarfield Road
- Fort Monroe Community Center - 100 Stillwell Road
United Way Emergency Fund
The United Way is ready to assist those most affected by COVID-19. If you are in need of assistance and live in Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, or lower York County, call United Way's First Call at 757-594-4636. For more information or to make a donation, click here.